Busan Travel : Day and Night of Haeundae Beach and Main Street, Spa Scrub Experience and More!

My South Korea Cherry Blossom itinerary was mostly fixed except for the two days before TP's Busan arrival.

The hotel rates in Haeundae seemed reasonable, thus I decided to have a free-and-easy 2 days 1 night in Haeundae.
I set off from Seoul on the 10:30 am train and planned my Haeundae to-do while on the train. Jen sent a photo of her Busan Spa with a seaview, and that went into my to-do list.

Haeundae Main street
There were many more high-rise buildings compared to my last visit from a few years back, and a main pedestrian walkway linked the subway to the beachfront.


The hotel was less than 10 minutes walk from the subway.  I was given a corner room with a partial seaview. Wow, I liked it!

Beach
Haeundae Beach is one of the popular must-visit places in Busan. It has a 1.5km long coastline. The beach was quite quiet in March but some visitors and locals alike were walking along the beach promenade.

There were many new high-rise properties developments at one end of the beach. According to the information board, the properties would be ready by early next year. I found out later that the road from this end leads to the Dalmaiji Road, and the RailTrack Walk.

At the other end of beach is the Westin Hotel and the lighthouse.


The walk to the lighthouse beyond the beach was pleasant and interesting, passing by bridges, the mermaid and eventually the lighthouse.


After the lighthouse, the path leads to the Westin Chosun Hotel, and then back to the beach.


In the evening, the buildings surrounding the beach lit up the beachfront with their lights. Music could be heard along the beach from a small platform set up for aspiring musicians to perform.


There was also a small food area selling an assortment of small bites and snacks. Haeundae Beach is definitely worth more than a few hours of visit.
Haeundae Spa and scrub
Knowing that there may be some communication problem with the taxi driver, I photographed the Haeundae Spa address and location.
Based on the map, the driver went to a school, stopped the taxi and
        "Haggyo(School), Haggyo!" he shouted.
        "Haeundae Spa, Haeundae SPA" I said.
I refused to get out of the taxi. Silence. He looked at the map, and drove again.

At last, I arrived, paid and took the lift to the Women Bath (Spa) Area. It was crowded (maybe this is where housewives go to relax and socialize?) There are several 'bathing pools' with water temperature ranging from warm to hot and a busy scrub area with three beds where staff members scrubbed customers bodies as they relaxed. The price was 25k for a body scrub and 50k for a body scrub and oil massage. Although I just got a body scrub 2 weeks ago, I needed to try a Korean scrub and massage ;).
        Blue -English 
       Korean words that I assumed was spoken
       Korean word that I understand
<Bath Area>
            "Scrub and oil Massage" I pointed to the signage and spoke to one of the ladies.
            "Jigeum(Now)?" I was pleased that I could understand 'NOW'.
            "Yes, now, can ?"
           "OK, pay , cashier"  she pointed to the reception area outside.

<Reception area>
        "Pay - scrub and oil massage" to the cashier at reception.
       "Scrub and Massage? Let me confirm?"  she led me back into the scrub area.

<Bath Area>
        "she wants a scrub and massage, you can do now?" cashier to scrubber
        "Yes, can, now" scrubber to receptionist.
        "Ok, 50k won" cashier said as she led me out to the receptionist area

<Reception area>
   I went to the locker to get the credit card.
       "No, Cash" she said. (Oh dear, I do not want to use 50k cash before TP's arrival with more cash).
       "No credit card?, ok, scrub, no massage" said 
       "I have to inform the scrubber" cashier  said as she led me into the bath area.

<Bath Area>
      "She only wants a scrub." She told the scrubber; three of us back to the reception area.

<Reception Area>
     "Wait" cashier said after I passed the cash to her at the counter.

   I leaned forward to take a look behind the counter.
      "NO, CCTV!!!" the scrubber shouted, and gestured at me. I was almost filmed non-clothed.
      "Oh ok" I laughed.
      "Okay" as the cashier returned my change of cash.

<Bath Area>
At last, everything is settled. I was led to one of the pools.
    "Wait" said the srubber. I have to wait and not do NOW because i was just doing a scrub?!

I dipped into the warm bathing pool. I could not changed my mind now just in case I needed to repeat the entire walking in and out...

Scrubbing Area
I was waved to the scrub area! I climbed onto the bed and lay myself face down, ready for the action.
      POKE, POKE at the backside. I looked up, she poked again and shifted me to facing upwards (oh ok, why did I assume I have lie face down?).

She did a quick face massage and applied cucumber scented cream on my face.
    "SPLASH' Shocked by the warm water splashed upon the body.
She proceed to scrub vigorously with her glove mitt. Then,
               POKE, POKE on right, turned body to right, 'OKAY', stop shifting, SCRUB.
               POKE, POKE on backturned body to back 'OKAY'stop shifting, SCRUB.
              POKE, POKEturned body to right 'OKAY'stop shifting, SCRUB.
              POKE, POKEshifted body face up 'OKAY', stop shiftingSPLASH! 

A few splashes of warm pail water, and almost all the newly formed and escaped-from-being-scrubbed dead skin cells from two weeks ago had been washed off.

A familiar, nicely scented cream was applied onto my face (I kept trying to figure out what it was).
         POKE, POKE"OKAY!" It was over.
     "Gomabseubnida(Thank You) Shower Shower. " the scrubber said as I climbed off the bed.
     "Okay, Thank you!" I said and glanced at the shelf, saw a light-brown bottle of cream, and immediately caramel came to my mind. I'd always been used to cucumber themed products being used for facial care, but hadn't really seen or considered any caramel flavored products. I guess it has its own set of health benefits?

Finally, took a peep at the empty jimjibang before going off.

Note: Scrub/massage booking should be made in advance with the reception on arrival, and paid up front. Spa and Jimjibang are charged separately.
Food
Haeundae
Had lunch (Boiled Pork) at Busan station and dinner at the Haeundae Food Street (Beef bugolgi)

Cold noodle Breakfast and Korean Sashimi Lunch (Dalmaji Road)
Eel Dinner
Busan
Dumplings and cold noodles for dinner, walked around Gakaji Market and then had Dessert at Busan Station.

Busan can be an interesting short holiday destination. I would revisit Busan if I can squeeze a few days to do more walks and to relax in Haeundae.
Thought
An overnight stay has enabled me to experience much of Haeundae, and I especially enjoyed my spa experience as well as the peaceful walks along the beach.
Other Information:
Hotel
Hotel Ambassador Busan Haeundae
Dino Hotel, Busan
On the same trip
Itinerary
Day1: Seoul
Day2: Seoul - Busan Haeundae Beach, Spa Scrub and Food 
Day3: Busan - Daljima Road Cherry Blossoms, Spa, Haedong Temple 
Day4: GyeongJu Cherry Blossom Day Trip 
Day5: Jinhae Cherry Blossom Day Trip 
Day6: Seoul
Day7: Seoul - Home
Other Busan Trip
Seoul to Busan Travel: Day Trip using the KOrail Pass