Rediscovering Bangkok 2018: Pratnum Market, Chinatown and Food.

Bangkok Again 2018
As I took the airport train to the hotel, I wondered if I would come to Bangkok again after this trip.
Thailand Chinatown Bangkok
Chinatown

Bangkok, May 2018
From my trips last year, I observed that prices were no longer as reasonable as before; the locals seem  'jaded' by the endless mass influx of tourists and the thrill of the usual massage/shopping excursions has diminished significantly. I decided to do away with the usual activities to rediscover this city again.
Pratunam Market
Bangkok Pratunam Market Thailand
Not the usual Pratunam Mall, as I walked to the Pratunam Market from Siam Square in the morning. Pratunam Market is located at the intersection of the Ratchaprop and Petchburi Roads. I got confused about the exact location and walked to one side road abuzz with activities, and somehow came upon the market.
Thailand Pratunam Market Bangkok
The markets are huge, extending along the road, intersecting alleyways, covered market malls, and linking into shopping centers. Most are closed with locals and tourists looking for good deals. There are random loaded trolley carts sharing the walkways with the pedestrians. (Be careful: look out for them!). It is indeed shopping galore of all sorts of merchandises at relatively reasonable prices.
Pratunam Market Bangkok shopping
My greedy eyes scanned for good deals while keeping tab of my limited shopping time.  (Lesson learnt: To buy whatever I fancy on the spot as I had great difficulty retracing my steps to earlier stores). Indeed, it offers a shopping experience quite different from the glamorous shopping centre in Siam Square, just a short distance away! It certainly had the strong marketplace vibe of merchants vocally advertising their often unique and custom goods.
Bangkok Pratunam Market shopping
At about 9am, the stalls on the road pack up and clear the area for vehicular use. I noticed that while some roadside stalls packed their merchandise, new vendors would already begin setting up shop at the same location. Are the stalls being rented in shift? (I bought the bag on the first morning, and decided to return to buy another one. However, the stall seemed to have vanished, until I realized that it started business at 9am after the first stall vacated the place). 
Food
The Bangkok's Michelin List was out early in 2018. I detoured to try my first Michelin list's food - Go-Ang Kaomunkai Pratunam Chicken Rice.  The chicken was tender and the rice fragrant, but as they say, home is where the heart is; I still prefer Heng Ji chicken rice in Chinatown :).
Bangkok Michelin Food Go-Ang Kaomunkai
We made a reservation at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchun at the last minute. I was curious as to whether the restaurant set-up would be similar to the one in Paris and Hong Kong.
Bangkok Michelin Restaurant L'Atelier de Joel RobuchunIts quality customer service and food did not disappoint, especially the bread basket ;), yummy.
Bangkok Michelin Restaurant L'Atelier de Joel Robuchun
Bangkok Michelin Guide 2018
Chinatown
The first time I went to Chinatown in Bangkok was ages and ages ago, and I wanted to 'rediscover' it and fortunately, the others were keen to go there (despite the weather) too with the afternoon sun beating down on us. Just mention 'Yaowarat' to the taxi driver, and one would be transported from modern Bangkok to an older district with low-rise buildings and distinctive signage in both Chinese and Thai language.
Bangkok Chinatown Yaowarat 曼谷唐人街
Chinatown is usually synonymous with good, authentic food and Bangkok Chinatown is well-known for its birds nest shops. We tried the birds nest in coconut;  a rather expensive but soothing drink for a hot afternoon!
Bangkok Chinatown Yaowarat 曼谷唐人街 燕窝
We bought a variety of Thai snacks as we walked through the rows of shophouses, and then to Talat Kao, an alley-like market with many stalls selling traditional dried goods, tidbits, snacks and groceries.
Bangkok Chinatown Yaowarat 曼谷唐人街
There are also many stalls selling a myriad of different preserved foods that seem quite uniquely done in a distinct Chinese Thai style?
Bangkok Chinatown Yaowarat
After the shopping, we had coffee and bread in a traditional coffee shop (for the experience).
Bangkok Chinatown Yaowarat
wikipedia : Chinatown,_Bangkok
Hotel : Novotel Siam Square (Convenient for overall accessibility)
For my next trip, I shall
(1) While googling for directions to Chinatown, I learned that there is public transport by boat along the canals! I'll definitely try this out on my next visit here.
(2) Have a meal in Chinatown
(3) Try more new food
(4) Go to Pratunam Market again

My other Bangkok Trip:
Bangkok 2017: Siam Square, Author's Lounge, Chatuchak Night Market and Walks



 "Tourist don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going" - Paul Theroux