Ibusuki Onsen and Kanmon Tunnel - Kyushu 2026

Mainly photos only

January 2026
An early arrival into Fukuoka to start a 2-week winter holiday in Japan. 

After collecting the pass, breakfast at Tully, deposit the bag at the hotel (After a nice stay in Kumamoto Blossom Hotel, I booked Blossom in Fukuoka without realising that it does not have a hotbath facility 😔)
Probably still a bit dazed from the overnight flight, I took the next Shinkansen (Nozomi) for Kagoshima. Before the Kumamoto station, the conductor checked my pass and informed me that either I paid the extra fee and penalty or to alight at Kumamoto.
I got off at Kumamoto, took the next inclusive train to Kagoshime. 
Ibusuki Sand Bath
I arrived at the Saraku Sand Bath after taking the local train (~1 hour), followed by a taxi ride.
Ibusuki Sand Bath, at the southern tip of Kagoshima

Saraku Sand Bath is a public bath in Ibusuki. The entrance fee is 1500yen and each guest is given a set of yakuta (bath rode) to change to, and then to follow the sign to the outdoor area. 
At the beach, an area is enclosed with as the sand bath facility. Each is directed to an available umbrella. After lying down and adjusting the yukata (if need be), the sand is shovelled onto the yukata to cover the body (except the head). The naturally heated sand warmed and relaxed the body. 
According to the Japan.travel website, the warm dark sands is composed of intense infusion of minerals from the volcanic hot spring. I lay down on the sand for about 20 minutes so as to get enough sweat to get ride of toxin in the body as well. Then, I made my way back to the indoor bath area to have a good bath. I enjoyed the unique sand bath experience.
I requested the reception to book a taxi to go back to the train station. I had a hot footbath outside the station, and had a dinner at the train station before heading back to Fukuoka.

Although it was a tiring day, arriving early into Fukuoka, and making the relatively long trip to Ibusuki, I had enjoyed the first day of my Japan winter holiday. 
[After the pleasant stay in Blossom Hotel Kumamoto, I booked Blossom Hotel Hakata without realising that it does not have a hotbath. So must remember to double-check the facilities available. 

The Kanmon Tunnel (Day 2) 
The Kannon Tunnel is a underground complex that connects  the southern island of Kyushu  Island at Kitikyushu with the main island of Honshu at Shimonoseki in Japan. 
I took the train from Hakata to Mijiko Station( with my luggage in tow).  and then a taxi to the Kanmon Pedestrian Tunnel Entrance. When we arrived, the place was deserted and I wondered if the tunnel is opened. [The kindly taxi driver waited by the road to ensure that the lift worked before driving off.]

The 780 metre long footpath enables the pedestrian to walk between the two islands. It opens between 6am to 10pm daily and the tunnel level is accessed via a lift. 
Although the tunnel is old, the wall is decorated with painting of sea animals and information board of the distance from Kyushu and Mainland Honshu. After about 15 minutes, I reached the middle of the tunnel at a depth of 58 metre under the sea.  

After about 20 minutes, I could see the end of the tunnel on Honshu Island side. 

I took the lift up to the building exit, and could see Kyushu Island on the other side now. 

Although my next destination is Takasaki in Gunma, I am glad that I walked the tunnel even though I would arrive late in the evening. 

I look forward to the rest of my Japan winter holiday.