A memorable Jog/Walk : 5km Marathon (SCSM) 2021

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) 2021
The largest in-person running event since the start of the pandemic.
Date : 4 December, 7pm
Distance : 5 km
Start and End Point : Marina Float
Although this rendition of the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon was drastically different from the usual one, I was glad that it was not cancelled and promptly signed up for it. 
[I also texted to a few who might be interested , Jen and Lil signed up too 👍]
Pre Race
There were emails to promote and remind us of the event, and also to do the pre-race self-admin ART test. 
December 4 - 5km Run Day
A queue had formed outside the Marina Float when we arrived. The organisers checked and confirmed our negative ART test email, and we proceeded to the counter to scan our registration barcode to collect our wrist-band, and moved into the holding area before going towards our designated pens in groups. 
[I had deleted my registration email, but fortunately I sent the barcode to the whatsapp group]
~6:30 pm While we waited for the run to start, we took in the view of the city's skyline. To the delight of the participants, it was announced that the run would start at 7pm instead of 7:15pm.
~7pm: The participants were flagged off in groups of 3. 
[It was quite unique and felt like a privilege to be flagged off individually, rather than jogging amongst mass of runners in the usual marathon, haha 😈😉]
The route passed through Garden by the Bay, Shoppes, Fullerton Bay Hotel, the Merlion and the Esplanade Theatre before finishing back at the Marina Float. I jogged for a short distance, and then walked the rest.There were no roadblocks and the entire route was very crowded.
[In the midst of the crowd, I could sense that the general goal of many participants were to enjoy and race to the finishing line - us included  😀😄]
Surprisingly, there was also a water-stop with water and 100 plus at the 2.5km mark, which provided us with a nice refreshment at the halfway point. It was relatively smooth sailing throughout, and as we finally approached the entrance of the Marina float, I ran through the finish line! 😀
[Lil was almost knocked by a cyclist but she avoided it skilfully 😮😊]

After the Race
We collected our medal, and queued to collect the marathon t-shirts and other free items. 
[The 100plus ice-cone was wonderful 😊]
We walked back to CityHall MRT, and had a light dinner at THW before going home.

Thoughts

Although it was only a 5km run, I could sense that most of the runners were glad to simply have this short marathon to participate in. It felt like a concerted effort towards regaining some normalcy amidst the pandemic [especially with the emergence of Omicron 😑]

Thanks Lil for reminding us of the various tasks to do prior to the event and Jen who was so delighted to join me when I called out to her AFTER I did my U-turn. 
[she 'skipped' the U-turn because of me or her green-target?! 🙈🙉🙊] 

I look forward to the next year's SCSM. Because of the unique situation, I did not "dare" to encourage walking-buddies to participate in the SCSM. I hope there will be more participation in next year's SCSM 😚