Rediscovering Tokyo - Shinjuku, Tsukiji Market and Tokyo Marathon 2017(not me running)

Tokyo Marathon 2017

A last minute decision to go Japan to support the marathon participants as well as to visit the city again.

Arrival into Tokyo

When I bought the train ticket to Shinjuku station,  the ticketing staff(maybe sensing my 'blur-ness') also provided the platform number. At the platform, a train approached about 15 minutes before the specified time. I boarded the train, and sat at the designated seat. A lady soon approached me and gestured to the seat. I showed her my ticket, and she pointed to her ticket that the current train is going to Yokohama. Luckily, we were assigned the same seat. I quickly got out of the train.
The train pulled away, and soon after another train approached.  I boarded the right train as it departed at the exact specified time.   (Lesson learnt: Multiple trains at short interval can be using the same platform). And, trains leave at the EXACT timing, not earlier or later.

Shinjuku

Shinjuku station was mega and utterly bewildering. There are multiple floors and entrances, so many lines and shops. Fortunately,  after 'stumbling' around I managed to get out at the specified exit (Thanks to J who had provided the exact exit location).
Tokyo Shinjuku has the overwhelming sense of  'mega-ness' of a city with  bright neon lights, crowds, sights and sounds, buildings and the famous traffic crossing. :)


But Shinjuku has its fair share of quiet and peaceful places away seemingly removed from the city buzz as well. Found a nice Starbucks to study the underground map. Across the road is the typical sight of Tokyo: Vending machines and waste-sorting bins. Tokyo is clean.

Despite my best efforts to familarise myself with Shinjuku Station, I would momentarily have that sense of 'which part of the station am I at?'  when I step out of the train. The station is huge!

Tokyo Marathon 2017




The Marathon and the Supporters







All completed the marathon! Well Done!

Tokyo Skytree

Rather than visit the Tokyo Tower, we visited the Tokyo Skytree. Although it was crowded, the people queued in an orderly manner to purchase tickets and also to wait for the lift to go up the tower.
The view really captured the size and scale of the city... the rows of differently shaped houses and buildings stretched far into the infinite horizon. Truly, it was a visual ode to the robustness of this city's life.
 

Tsukiji Fish Market

I had wanted to wake up by 3pm to go to the Tuna auction but that didn't come to fruition as I suppose I did not have much determination to combat the dark cold morning and hailing a taxi by myself. Instead, I took the 5+ am direct train to the Tsukiji Fish Market. Although tour groups or tourists are discouraged from visiting the market before 9am, you are free to walk into the market.


There was a great variety of seafood on display. I walked to the different aisles and also outside the market.

I was quite fascinated by the three-wheelers used by the stallholders. They zigzag about each another in seeming chaos yet someone everyone moves along smoothly still.


After about more than an hour of touring the market, I had a sushi breakfast before leaving the market for more walking in Tokyo :).

Ginza Walking Around


Walking Outside the Palace:



Food:


Tokyo has so much to offer, from its food to its vibrant culture, but especially its food, for me at least. I will definitely be back to explore this city again!

Hotel
I was surprised by the very reasonable rate that I got for my APA Hotel rate, then I realized there was a 'boycott' of APA hotels by some groups of tourists.

Useful Note:

Get the subway map from the ticketing counter. It is easier to use as compared to the mobile phone copy (in terms of size). Thus, good to have both a physical and e-copy.
Do carry cash to use in small eateries and shops, as many still only accept cash. However, it has become increasingly cashless (more e-cash/credit cards accepted)?